Titov vrv – the second highest peak in North Macedonia – is seen even from Skopje and Kumanovo on a good day, raises tall at 2747 meters above all Shara ridglines. On its very top stands a 3-storie brick tower serving as a metaphorical lighthouse for the exhausted but thriller mountain devotees. Climbing TItov Vrv is must-do activity to have in your mountain palmares.
The central part of Shar Planina mountain massif has been the most popular hiking destination for domestic hikers as well as foreign tourists for many-a-year. The most convenient way to fully grasp this magnificent region is to be based in Popova Shapka ski center
looming above the city of Tetovo and Polog valley. From the ski center, located at cca.1700 m asl. await many hiking paths and summits to be climbed.
One of the ways to climb Titov vrv (Tito’s Peak)
is taking the Vakaf (summer) route. A moderate / challenging hike of 21 km and 950 D+ that begins at the ski center and for the first half of it, it follows the dirt road of Sharski vodi hydro system. This easy traverse spares you 800 meters of going up but hides magnificent views of the heart of the mountain on the way. As soon as the going gets uphill, the cirque of Bakardan peak (2700m) opens up ahead of you.
But don’t despair if you cannot see what’s hiding behind it – as you traverse Bakardan peak at its base around 2200 meters - the pure alpine and unspoiled wilderness of Upper Leshnica region
opens up down in a network of glacial valleys. Titov vrv, is right there at 500 vertical meters from Bakardan saddle like a dormant giant that is always fond of sparing its front seats to see one of the most beautiful viewpoints in this part of the Balkans: all of Sharr Mountain, across Polog valley and Jakupica massif, Korab in the South and so on and on…
|CHALLENGING||up to 30km / 19mi/ 5-9 hours||Long hikes with possible long and steep ascents and descents. Trails may be rough and rugged. ||Experienced hikers who love a good challenge. Should be ready to walk all day with more elevation gain|
When To Go
|Possible||15 May – 31 May and 01 October to 15 November|
|Recommended||01 June – 30 September|
|Not available||16 November – 14 May|
Available on request
INCLUDED IN PRICE:
- Mobile app with maps and route descriptions
- Detailed hiking route descriptions and maps
- Local safety information and contacts
- Stand-by support
- Organization and logistic by Macedonia Travel
NOT INCLUDED IN PRICE:
OPTIONS & SUPPLEMENTS:
- Private arrival / departure transfers available on request
- • Extra night before or after the tour in Popova Shapka ski resort:
- In mountain hut “Konak”(private rooms): from 15 €/ per person sharing double room. Single supplement: 8 euro
- In hotel ‘Scardus’ 4*: from 26 €/ per person sharing double room. Single supplement: 10 €.
- Rent of Global Positioning System (GPS) console: 45 €
Arrival & Departure
By bus and car / van transfer from Skopje:
Buses start from Skopje Central Bus Station
to Tetovo Bus Station
. Price for one way ticket: 3 € From bus station in Tetovo we will arrange transfer to Popova Shapka ski resort – price 10 € Taxi / private transfer from Skopje:
Available on requestPlease contact the agency for current bus / train schedules
Why Travel With Us?
ADVENTURES FOR EVERYONE
You only pay for what you want. We offer different levels of accomodation and comfort for every budget and travel style. Please read carefully the includes and excludes items and create the trip that is most convenient for you.
Since 2004 we create authentic, high quality tours in the Balkans. North Macedonia is our homeland, we have walked and biked every corner and we make sure that the balance between the activities, the "must see" attractions and the "off-the-beaten-track" experiences gives you the true Balkan - intense, hearth warming and often life changing experience.
- strict company risk management on each tour that we operate
- available 24/7 for anything from enquiries to emergencies
- smartphone navigation app in addition to the printed detailed route information and maps
- we give you a wireless modem on the trip so you can be easily located at any time in case of emergency