Shar Planina (Sharr Mountain) has a characteristic central ridge taking nearly south to north direction in one constant line. However, the Nature, millennia ago, had been particularly inspired when creating this mountain range by giving it a heart in the region of Leshnica valley. Thus a visit to this area is a must – to witness a pure alpine-like unspoiled nature in the central part of Shar Planina. And just above this valley looms Plat peak (2398 m).
We suggest this hike to Plat peak - a trail long 17 km, with 940 D+. The hike takes about 6 - 7 hours and it begins at ski center Popova Shapka
at 1700 meters asl. The route climbs gradually to circumnavigate Ceripashina mountain and as soon as you reach the saddle near Jelak mountain hut a magnificent view opens up to the northern part of Shara.
The single-track turns into a jeep road that in several kilometers of walking is enveloped by coniferous trees (a typical site in the massif). Leaving the road at the sheepfold will take you to a plateau of 2050 meters average height and just a glimpse of Titov Vrv peak (2747 m) with its famous tower at the top. On your right-hand side Plat peak
invites you to endure its 350 vertical meters of climbing it up, and when reaching the top – an awestruck view of the glacial valleys of Leshnica creek
and Pena river
And on their opposite side the vertical couloirs of Sreden Kamen
(2465 m) remind us of the enormous powers of nature an ice age ago that has left such scars in the terrain. To the north, from Plat peak many-a-summit can be seen as well as few mountain villages under their shadows: peaks Karanikola, Vrtop, Kobilica, Crn Vrv, Bistrica and the villages of Bozovce, Brodec and Veshala.
|EASY / MODERATE||up to 18km / 11mi/ 3-6 hours||Terrain may be rugged, with some hills, but not too strenuous.||Suitable for fit and active people, with some hiking experience|
When To Go
|Possible||15 May – 31 May and 01 October to 15 November|
|Recommended||01 June – 30 September|
|Not available||16 November – 14 May|
Available on request
INCLUDED IN PRICE:
- Mobile app with maps and route descriptions
- Detailed hiking route descriptions and maps
- Local safety information and contacts
- Stand-by support
- Organization and logistic by Macedonia Travel
NOT INCLUDED IN PRICE:
OPTIONS & SUPPLEMENTS:
- Private arrival / departure transfers available on request
- Extra night before or after the tour
- In mountain hut “Konak”(private rooms): from 15 €/ per person sharing double room. Single supplement: 8 euro
- In hotel ‘Scardus’ 4*: from 26 €/ per person sharing double room. Single supplement: 10 €.
- Rent of Global Positioning System (GPS) console: 45 €
Arrival & DepartureBy bus and car / van transfer from Skopje:
Buses start from Skopje Central Bus Station
to Tetovo Bus Station
. Price for one way ticket: 3 € From bus station in Tetovo we will arrange transfer to Popova Shapka ski resort – price 10 €
Taxi / private transfer from Skopje:
Available on requestPlease contact the agency for current bus / train schedules
Why Travel With Us?
ADVENTURES FOR EVERYONE
You only pay for what you want. We offer different levels of accomodation and comfort for every budget and travel style. Please read carefully the includes and excludes items and create the trip that is most convenient for you.
Since 2004 we create authentic, high quality tours in the Balkans. North Macedonia is our homeland, we have walked and biked every corner and we make sure that the balance between the activities, the "must see" attractions and the "off-the-beaten-track" experiences gives you the true Balkan - intense, hearth warming and often life changing experience.
- strict company risk management on each tour that we operate
- available 24/7 for anything from enquiries to emergencies
- smartphone navigation app in addition to the printed detailed route information and maps
- we give you a wireless modem on the trip so you can be easily located at any time in case of emergency