The most exciting and physically demanding hike in Pelister National Park is the one to the peak Pelister (2.601m) by the Rocky trail of 21km and 1.300mD+ (return). This route takes you by a notable geographical feature - stone rivers – moraines that reveal the geological composition and glacial legacy of Mount Baba. The return hike to the peak and back will take 8-9 hours, or, if you have one more day for the mountains, you can combine it with the trail from the peak to Golemo ezero
another 6,5km, and spend the night in the mountain hut by the lake.
Rising above the city of Bitola in the Southern part of North Macedonia lays Baba Mountain
- it dominates the Pelagonija valley like a rooftop. The national park Pelister
, where Mt Baba belongs, is the first and the oldest officially protected natural reserve in N.Macedonia since 1948. There are many peaks above 2000m asl here that are separated by deep valleys and springs, streams and rivers - the highest being Pelister peak (2601m). The most exciting and physically demanding hike to Peak Pelister
is by the Rocky trail (thus the local name of the path – Pateka po kamenjarot) that partially goes through a moraine
that spreads out from the summit of Pelister via Ilinden (2500) and Stiv peaks (2468m asl) down to the Molika pine forest line. The moraine is consisted of smaller and larger boulders - a remnant of the ice age processes that had shaped this mountain many-a-millennia ago.
The hike to Pelister begins through well-establish single-track nested in pine forest slopes. After a kilometer you will reach mountain hut “Kopanki”
(1.610m) which currently is being renovated, and the next two kilometers will take you across a stone river – moraine
that has also a mountain spring water source.
The rocky trail is marked with waymarks and info boards are placed along the trail. The trail has a panorama point (Vanguard 1998m asl
) where you can take a break and enjoy the captivating panoramas of Pelagonija valley, Prespa Lake, Mountains Galicica, Nidze and so on.
The return trip is by the same route you came – roughly it takes 5 hours to climb up and 3-4 more to get back to your starting point. Get ready for unforgettable adventures in this extraordinary mountain region.
|CHALLENGING||up to 30km / 19mi/ 5-9 hours||Long hikes with possible long and steep ascents and descents. Trails may be rough and rugged. ||Experienced hikers who love a good challenge. Should be ready to walk all day with more elevation gain|
When To Go
|Possible||15 May – 31 May and 01 October to 15 November|
|Recommended||01 June – 30 September|
|Not available||16 November – 14 May|
Available on request
INCLUDED IN PRICE:
- Mobile app with maps and route descriptions
- Detailed hiking route descriptions and maps
- Local safety information and contacts
- Stand-by support
- Organization and logistic by Macedonia Travel
NOT INCLUDED IN PRICE:
OPTIONS & SUPPLEMENTS:
- Private arrival / departure transfers available on request
- Extra night before or after the tour
- In h. Molika 3*: from 22 €/ per person sharing double room. Single supplement: 8 €.
- In a village guesthouse with private rooms (10km / 22min drive to h. Molika): from 25 €/ per person sharing double room. Single supplement 10 €
- In Bitola, boutique hotel in the pedestrian area: from 25 € / per person sharing double room. Single supplement: 8 € .
- Rent of Global Positioning System (GPS) console: 45 €
Arrival & DepartureBy bus & car transfer from Skopje:
Buses start from Skopje Central Bus Station
to Bitola Intercity Bus Station
, which is on 30min/ 15km drive from hotel Molika where the tour starts. From Bitola train station we can arrange your transfer to hotel Molika. Please contact the agency for transfer arrangements.
By train & car transfer from Skopje:
Trains start from Skopje Railway Station
to Bitola Train Station
, which is on 30min/ 15km drive from hotel Molika where the tour starts. From Bitola train station we can arrange your transfer to hotel Molika. Please contact the agency for transfer arrangements. Taxi / private transfer from Skopje:
Available on request.
Please contact the agency for current bus / train schedules
Why Travel With Us?
ADVENTURES FOR EVERYONE
You only pay for what you want. We offer different levels of accomodation and comfort for every budget and travel style. Please read carefully the includes and excludes items and create the trip that is most convenient for you.
Since 2004 we create authentic, high quality tours in the Balkans. North Macedonia is our homeland, we have walked and biked every corner and we make sure that the balance between the activities, the "must see" attractions and the "off-the-beaten-track" experiences gives you the true Balkan - intense, hearth warming and often life changing experience.
- strict company risk management on each tour that we operate
- available 24/7 for anything from enquiries to emergencies
- smartphone navigation app in addition to the printed detailed route information and maps
- we give you a wireless modem on the trip so you can be easily located at any time in case of emergency