One of the most beautiful mountain regions in North Macedonia can be found in the narrow valleys of Leshnica creek and Pena river – a pure alpine-like glacial valley and steep almost vertical 1000 meters high mountain sides. All of that is nested in the central part of Shar Planina and the easiest hike to get there is from Popova Shapka ski resort and the plateau just below the summit of Plat.
A downhill with Titov Vrv (the highest peak in Shar Planina) just above you, takes you down to Upper Leshnica area
at 1700m asl. The last ice age has left miraculous scars in this terrain and as soon as you get to the upper base of the valley, you will hear a waterfall in the near distance – Leshnicki waterfall
. As you pass by the sheepfold mind the dogs – call out the shepherd – chances are you will meet several autochthone mountain shepard dog called Sharplaninec – whose job is to tend the sheep from wolves and bears – and this area is full with wildlife.
Further down, the narrow valley broadens as Plat and Sreden Kamen
eastern sides open up to a larger and flatter valley of river Pena – this area is known as Dolna (Lower) Lehsnica
. It’s at altitude of 1450 meters and it is a popular place for picnic reachable only by foot, mountain bike or by all-terrain vehicles. Having a break here comes naturally as this flat area puts you like on a small pedestal from where one is enclosed by massive natural formations such as is tall coniferous trees, overhanging rock faces, limestone cathedrals and almost vertical couloirs.
The serenity of Dolna (Lower) Leshnica can be spoiled only by herds of mountain goats that are our hosts in this extraordinary natural region – the heart of Shar Planina mountain range.
|EASY / MODERATE
|up to 18km / 11mi/ 3-6 hours
|Terrain may be rugged, with some hills, but not too strenuous.
|Suitable for fit and active people, with some hiking experience
When To Go
|15 May – 31 May and 01 October to 15 November
|01 June – 30 September
|16 November – 14 May
Available on request
INCLUDED IN PRICE:
- Mobile app with maps and route descriptions
- Detailed hiking route descriptions and maps
- Local safety information and contacts
- Stand-by support
- Organization and logistic by Macedonia Travel
NOT INCLUDED IN PRICE:
OPTIONS & SUPPLEMENTS:
- Private arrival / departure transfers available on request
- Extra night before or after the tour
- In mountain hut “Konak”(private rooms): from 15 €/ per person sharing double room. Single supplement: 8 euro
- In hotel ‘Scardus’ 4*: from 26 €/ per person sharing double room. Single supplement: 10 €.
- In tents (available on request) .
- Rent of Global Positioning System (GPS) console: 45 €
Arrival & DepartureBy bus and car / van transfer from Skopje:
Buses start from Skopje Central Bus Station
to Tetovo Bus Station
. Price for one way ticket: 3 € From bus station in Tetovo we will arrange transfer to Popova Shapka ski resort – price 10 € Taxi / private transfer from Skopje:
Available on requestPlease contact the agency for current bus / train schedules
Why Travel With Us?
ADVENTURES FOR EVERYONE
You only pay for what you want. We offer different levels of accomodation and comfort for every budget and travel style. Please read carefully the includes and excludes items and create the trip that is most convenient for you.
Since 2004 we create authentic, high quality tours in the Balkans. North Macedonia is our homeland, we have walked and biked every corner and we make sure that the balance between the activities, the "must see" attractions and the "off-the-beaten-track" experiences gives you the true Balkan - intense, hearth warming and often life changing experience.
- strict company risk management on each tour that we operate
- available 24/7 for anything from enquiries to emergencies
- smartphone navigation app in addition to the printed detailed route information and maps
- we give you a wireless modem on the trip so you can be easily located at any time in case of emergency