Leshnica valley at river Pena is considered among nature enthusiasts in North Macedonia as the most beautiful part in the whole Shar Planina mountain range. It is formed (as seen as today) in the last ice age as glacial ice masses have melted and carved its way into the rock faces of the mountains that surround the valley. The area is reachable by off-road vehicle, mountain bike or simply by foot from village Bozovce, peaks Titov Vrv, Ceripahina and Bakardan, as well as from the ski center Popova Shapka and Upper Lehsnica locale.
This alpine-like part of Shara will leave you awestruck as you begin a gradual climb from 1450m asl (the base of the valley) up a jeep road in order to circumnavigate Plat peak. This easy to moderate hike is 14,5 km and 550 D+ and it usually takes 5- 6 hours to complete. The first part of the hike leads you through mixed coniferous and beech-wood forests and as the road takes northern direction you will notice several mountain summits in the near distance: Vrtop, Kobilica, Crn Vrv, Bistrica etc… all of them part of the constant ridgeline – the backbone of Shar Planina.
Having reached about 1930 m altitude and the direction of your travel takes you east, you will reach a sheepfold – the largest in the mountain (it is the base of all other micro (improvised) sheepfolds scattered around). Before entering the fold - mind the dogs – call out loud for someone to restrain them – and get ready to be served with the most authentic food that can be found here. The sheep graze the mountain vegetation in this clean region unspoiled by humans and drink from the purest water the mountain can collect. The result – the most tasteful dairy products produced in a traditional way directly from the heart of the nature – milk, yoghurt, the specialty – white cheese, yellow cheese and so on.
Walking back to Popova Shapka, with a mouthful of dairy delicatessen and mind full of new experience will leave a lasting impression of your visit of Leshnica region in the heart of Shar Planina.
|EASY / MODERATE||up to 18km / 11mi/ 3-6 hours||Terrain may be rugged, with some hills, but not too strenuous.||Suitable for fit and active people, with some hiking experience|
When To Go
|Possible||15 May – 31 May and 01 October to 15 November|
|Recommended||01 June – 30 September|
|Not available||16 November – 14 May|
Available on request
INCLUDED IN PRICE:
- Mobile app with maps and route descriptions
- Detailed hiking route descriptions and maps
- Local safety information and contacts
- Stand-by support
- Organization and logistic by Macedonia Travel
NOT INCLUDED IN PRICE:
OPTIONS & SUPPLEMENTS:
- Private arrival / departure transfers available on request
- Extra night before or after the tour
- In mountain hut “Konak”(private rooms): from 15 €/ per person sharing double room. Single supplement: 8 euro
- In hotel ‘Scardus’ 4*: from 26 €/ per person sharing double room. Single supplement: 10 €.
- In tents (available on request).
- Rent of Global Positioning System (GPS) console: 45 €
Arrival & DepartureBy bus and car / van transfer from Skopje:
Buses start from Skopje Central Bus Station
to Tetovo Bus Station
. Price for one way ticket: 3 € From bus station in Tetovo we will arrange transfer to Popova Shapka ski resort – price 10 € Taxi / private transfer from Skopje:
Available on request
Please contact the agency for current bus / train schedules
Why Travel With Us?
ADVENTURES FOR EVERYONE
You only pay for what you want. We offer different levels of accomodation and comfort for every budget and travel style. Please read carefully the includes and excludes items and create the trip that is most convenient for you.
Since 2004 we create authentic, high quality tours in the Balkans. North Macedonia is our homeland, we have walked and biked every corner and we make sure that the balance between the activities, the "must see" attractions and the "off-the-beaten-track" experiences gives you the true Balkan - intense, hearth warming and often life changing experience.
- strict company risk management on each tour that we operate
- available 24/7 for anything from enquiries to emergencies
- smartphone navigation app in addition to the printed detailed route information and maps
- we give you a wireless modem on the trip so you can be easily located at any time in case of emergency